Monday, December 23, 2013

Hagimit falls ~ Samal Island

Hagimit Falls
Location: Samal Island
Type and height: Multistep/ 2 to 3 meters
Trek difficulty: 1/5
Trek duration: 3 minutes

So there I am, alone, wide awake, staring at the dark seeing moments of the past go by. Moments that acted like sheep. Only that they made me more awake. I was thinking...Where did I go wrong? or maybe where did I go right?

The Sun's ray going through the window blinding my eyes. It's 6:00 am.

My body felt really weak. I forced myself to stand up and the thought of adventure energized me. I think I'm awake.

I took a cab to the port then hoped on a regular non-aircon bus. This bus then rode the ferry. On the ferry I decided to stay on its passenger area to have a better view of the surrounding. I watched as the movement pass by around me with the light touch of wind caressing my face. I'm heading to Samal Island where Hagimit falls is located which is said to be the closest waterfall from the main City.

I got down at Samal Market where I took a motorcycle ride before reaching the gates of Hagimit falls. This is the closest waterfall from Davao City and yet it took me four different rides.

Hagimit falls lies on a constructed resort. Paved walkway are placed surrounding numerous catch basins and mini pools, tables and chairs on huts, and one can even rent a dorm type lodging for an overnight trip. As I strolled up and around the different falls I believe the highest waterfall I saw was 8 feet. I continued surveying the area until I finally saw my perfect spot. A thick cascading waterfall with large round rocks sitting below it. Not too much noise and obviously no crowd. This is probably one of the advantages of development. The ability to have something to choose from.

I sat down on one of those rocks, relaxed myself and let the cold water glide through me. I listened to the beating of my heart, controlled my shivering body and thought of nothing. I felt much better.

Nature with all its grandeur keeps on changing you. It brings out your genuine soul while sucking out the baggage of pain. A rebirth it seems. I'm living. I'm awake.

 I think I was motionless for ten minutes before I stood up for a swim. Some kids joined me afterwards.



I came out of the pool and prepared my stuff. While doing this I remembered my motorcycle driver mentioning to me another waterfall just 20 minutes away. The way he described it was that is was only known to locals and that only few tourist has visited it. Plus, the falls was much higher then Hagimit falls. It was time to leave everything behind. It was time to move on. Without hesitation I trekked back up and told my driver to bring me to Tagbobo Falls.

How to get there: (From Davao City)

1.) Take a cab to Samal Ferry Terminal then take the ferry to Samal Island
1a.) Take a bus from Magsaysay park to Samel ferry Terminal
2.) Get off at Samal Island Market and rent a "habal-habal" motorcycle to Hagimit falls.







No comments:

Post a Comment